For this tutorial we will make the quick and simple Shelby Scarf. I love this look for Spring, and it’s also great for early Fall & warmer climates where large cowls and scarfs may not be a necessity. Crochet with cotton for an extra light version!
- Worsted Wight Yarn OR Cotton Yarn (I used less than one skein of I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby for this tutorial, and I have also used I Love This Cotton for previous scarves. Buy two skeins of cotton just in case 😉)
- Tapestry/Yarn Needle
- G Hook, 4.25mm (I used Boye)
- Chain stitch
- DC (double crochet)
- DC, BLO (double crochet, back loop only)
- DC, FLO (double crochet, front loop only)
- SC (single crochet)
- Slip stitch
- Alternate each row between DC, FLO & DC, BLO to achieve rigged look.
- Chain two to begin each row.
- DC directly into next stitch to begin new row after chaining two.
- Your chain 2 at the beginning of each row counts as a stitch.
- This design is made to wrap once around the neck and fall back on the front of the individual wearing it. If you wish it to be shorter or longer, add or subtract rows as desired.
For this tutorial, we will make a 3-5 year Shelby Scarf. 5+ & adult patterns/measurements are listed below this tutorial.
- Begin by chaining 13. For a wider version, chain 16.
- Row 1: Skip the first chain stitch and DC in each chain until you reach the end for a total of 12 stitches.
- Row 2: Chain 2, DC, FLO in each stitch
- Row 3: Chain 2, DC, BLO in each stitch
- Row 4: Chain 2, DC, FLO in each stitch
- Rows 5-96: Continue alternating between DC, BLO & DC, FLO until you have a total of 96 rows.
- Each row should have 12 stitches.
- Next, I add a border by single crocheting around the scarf.
- Use yarn needle to sew in ends.
- Measurements: approximately 51″ long (there is about a .5″ difference if you’re using cotton yarn), 3.25″ wide
- Add fringe if desired.
Child, 5+ pattern:
- Follow instructions above, but complete 120 rows.
- Measurements: 70″ long x 3.25″ wide
- Follow the instructions above, but complete 160 rows.
- Measurements: 84″ long x 3.25″ wide
- 12 colors for the 2-5 year old
- 15 colors for the 5+ child size
- 18 colors for the adult size
- You will follow the instructions above, but do a color change every 8 rows.
- This creates blocks of color measuring about 4.5″ vertically each.
- I used cotton yarn (I Love This Cotton) for the scarf above & below.
- All photos are copyrighted. Do not use my photos for product listings under any circumstance.
- If you wish to share this pattern, please link back to this page.
- You may sell products made from my patterns. I do ask that you credit my blog on your Etsy/websites as well as on all social media outlets by tagging me on Instagram (@kimmiescrochet) & on Facebook (Kimmie’s Crochet, LLC). Please use #bowsforyourbabes for a chance to be featured on my Instagram as well! I love seeing your work!!
Thank you for taking the time to check out this tutorial! Please send questions or comments to email@example.com or leave them below. Happy Scarf making!
“She seeks wool and flax & works with willing hands.” Proverbs 31:13